5 Reasons to drink water:
1. Water helps control your appetite, as dehydration can often be mistaken for hunger. If you had a full meal and you’re still hungry, try drinking a glass, or two, of water.
2. If you have minor headaches, you might need more water. Our brains are 80% water. When you become dehydrated your brain tissue loses water causing your brain to shrink and pull away from the skull, triggering pain receptors to give you a headache.
3. Water helps energize muscles. Cell shrivel with inadequate fluid, which can result in muscle fatigue and dizziness. Increase muscle performance by hydrating yourself before and after the workout.
4. Water is essential for the kidneys to function. Your kidney cleanses the body of toxins with the help of water fluids. Adequate water reduces the risk of developing kidney stones and urinary tract infection.
5. Maintain bowel function. Water keeps things flowing along your gastrointestinal tract. Inadequate water causes the colon to pull water from the stool, resulting in constipation.
But Ai, how much water should I drink?
You can tell that you are drinking enough water if your urine comes out light color and free of odor. Don’t forget that fruits and vegetables also contain water. There is no exact amount to drink, as everybody is different and requires different amount of nutrients. Just know that if you feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated.
But if you are curious, you can start with this formula. Let’s use 200 lbs as an example of your weight.
Inactive person : 200 lbs x .5 (half your weight in oz) = 100 oz
100 oz / 8 oz in a cup = 12.5 cups
Active person : 200 lbs x .66 (2/3 of your weight in oz)= 132 oz
132 oz/ 8 oz in a cup = 16.5 cups
Are water bottles safe?
Water from plastic containers may contain small amounts of plastics that are known to have hormone disrupting effects. Watch out for bottles that have been in a hot car for a while, part of the plastic is could be leaking into your water. Try using glass, glass-lined, or stainless steel bottles.
What’s in our tap water?
The Environmental Protection Agency estimates that 1.5 trillion gallons of pollutants lead into the ground eat year. More than 700 chemicals have been found in tap water. The amount of chlorine used to kill water-borne bacteria are increasing because of bacterial resistance.
Go for filtered water !!!
Buy a filtering system to add to your sink. Charcoal filters can remove chlorine and many pollutants from tap water. A pitcher with a simple carbon filter such as Brita or Pur can help purify your drinking water. I recently order this from Amazon : Aquagear Water Filter Pitcher - Fluoride, Lead, Chloramine, Chromium-6 Filter - BPA-Free, Clear
Tips to Drinking More Water
Have a cup of water next to your bed and drink it when you wake up
Make some tea (decaffeinated if possible) and continue to drink the tea throughout the day
Always bring water bottle to your hike and workout
Leave a bottle of water in your car and your handbag
Before you read, finish up a cup
Have more vegetables and fruits as they contain water
Add slices of lemon, orange, cucumber, or mint for a more refreshing taste
If all this is overwhelming to you. Start with 1 thing at a time.
1. Figure out an easy habit for drinking water.
2. Hydrate yourself. Drinking store bought juices and sodas do not count.
3. Buy a metal bottle or a glass bottle.
4. Buy a water filtering system for your sink or just a pitcher.
Your Holistic Health and Mindset Coach,
Ai = Love
Bauman, E., Freidlander, J. (2016). FOUNDATIONS of NUTRITION. Bauman College.
Kathleen M. Zelman. WebMD. 6 Reasons to Drink Water. Retrieved from
Lipski, E., & Myman, M (2013). Digestion Connection. New York, NY : Rodale Inc.
McIntosh, James. Medical News Today. (2016). Why is Drinking Water Important.
Retrieved from http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/290814.php
Thortz. How to Identify a Dehydration Headache. Retrieved from